Sunday, October 29, 2006

Rock and Roll Faces and David Gilmour

Jamming with my guitar teacher last week, and again he mentioned that I need to incorporate more emotion in my playing. To mechanical he says. His suggestion...make some "rock and roll" faces while playing. So I'm jamming in the basement making all types of weird faces as I'm playing. I can only imagine what it looks like.

We were talking soloing etc., and we starting looking at Gilmour's solo in Comfortably Numb. It's relatively simple but damn does it sound good, every note seems to be perfectly placed. I already know the solo to "Another Brick in the Wall pt 2", which is another Gilmour classic. Again it is a pretty simple solo, but anybody who likes rock music recognizes it. I was never a big Pink Floyd fan growing up and never realized what a great guitar player he is. He definitely puts note selection and emotion ahead of speed and technique. I think I am going to have to "Study" some Pink Floyd.

4 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Woodchuck said...

I can send you some Brutal Bitter from Rogue. It should help with the time that you are stuck playing Pink Floyd.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Muskyboy said...

You no likey Pink Floyd?

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Woodchuck said...

Not a Floyd fan here. I can respect the talent that the guys have, just not my style of music.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Muskyboy said...

I hear you. I wasn't a Floyd fan until recently. But after really taking a look at what Gilmour does, I have been converted.

Might be time to fire up a big doobie and watch the wall. err, well maybe not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home