Sunday, November 05, 2006

No Guitar but Emmett amazing

Well I made my attempt on winning a silent auction for a Rik Emmett signed Dean V guitar. The actual guitar is a bottom of the line Dean V, which retails for about $200. Once the bidding broke $900 I got out, although Momma Musky told me to go after it, I couldn't part with that much cash.

The evening wasn't a total bust. Dave Stoddard opened the show with some folky acoustic guitar and was an absolute riot. I've seen him before but he really brought the house down with a song he wrote with his daughter called, "There's a Turd in the Street." His set lasted about 1/2 hour. During the intermission I made the mistake of turning my blackberry on which had 5 urgent emails and one voice mail. Of course I was stupid enough to respond to one of the emails which resulted in an almost immediate phone call.

Rik Emmett came on after the intermission and was awesome as usual. Every time I see him play I am just amazed. He certainly can't hit the high notes signing like he used to, you would have to clamp my balls in a vice for me to come even close, but his guitar playing is incredible. It is obvious that he loves to play his guitar (talk about Rock and Roll Faces). What was even better is we were in the front row center. He didn't play all my Triumph favorites but did play Magic Power, Lay it on the Line and Hold On.

During Lay it on the Line I leaned over to Momma Musky and said, "I don't quite play it that good do I?", she chuckled and instead of giving words of encouragement she said, "well at least you try hard." Gee thanks!!!

It was obvious that he has seen it all in his 30+ years of performing. During Hold On Rik's guitar shit the bed and died during the song. Instead of stopping the show, he called out the chord changes to Dave Dunlop who was playing lead (and switched to rhythm) and finished the song. It was interesting to watch.

Picked up his new CD and a DVD of some of his performances. The DVD is great, haven't listened to the CD yet, but the stuff he played live Saturday was great so I'm sure I will like it. Can't wait till the CD of his new band Airtime comes out. He is currently shopping the CD to the major labels and hopefully it will get picked up. Been searching for a clip or two, but haven't found anything yet.

Two things I can't stand....Why is it whenever you go to a show that is in a small venue there has to be one guy who wants to be the life of the party and can't shut up? Also, why is it when prior to the show it is announced that photo's are OK but please no flash that people can't abide by that request?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home