Sunday, March 02, 2008

What a trainwreck

Well we played a gig last night. It was actually at the end of a fundraiser for my fishing club. For the most part it was a trainwreck. We got to the banquet hall late and our PA system shit the bed. Luckily we have some back up equipment so we were able to piece it together. So as people started to show up we hadn't completed our sound check and had to shut it down. Then several members of the band boozed it up a bit to much prior to our start.

So we go on at 9:00pm, the first song went ok then we jumped into Taken Care of Business where I started the lead riff in the wrong key and never recovered. I completely lost the groove and then in my panic forgot pretty much the rest of the song. I'm not sure what went wrong, but it was either I was one of the boozed up band members or working 90 hours per week for the last two months finally took it's toll. Either way not good.

Anyways, the TCOB trainwreck affected me for the next 4-5 songs. Songs that we have been playing for 3 months became a struggle as I couldn't remember the changes and really had to fight my way through. We finished the first set off and took a break. The second set went much better, but all in all it was a bit of a disaster. Probably the highlight of the night was during the second set. We played Swing Town by Steve Miller (I think) and I noticed the wife on the dance floor, so I took a stroll out there and bounced around a bit.

The funny thing is even though I thought I played like shit I got a lot of good comments. Of course all from people I know, so they were probably just being nice. So note for next time, get more sleep and drink less beer.

2 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Blogger Woodchuck said...

Drink Rum.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Muskyboy said...

Ha, yes I suppose that would be one way to go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home