Saturday, January 13, 2007

Like a kid in a candy store

Yep, that's it. This weekend is the Chicago Musky Show at Harper College. All the household names in Musky Fishing were there....Saric, Maina, Johnson, Heiting, Cain and a host of others. Fishing rods, reels, lures everywhere, regular painted lures, custom painted lures, people with bad teeth, ugly women.....What more could you want from a fishing show.

I had booth duty for the club from 1-8, which was great because I only had to work from 6 am till noon so I could make it. Spent most of the show shooting the shit with guys from the club. There is so much stuff to buy that I couldn't decide so I picked up a few new gliders and some Cranes and a few dozen replacement hooks for some of my 400+ lures.

Yes, that's right 400+. How many do I use on any given fishing trip? Probably less than 20 but you have to have a variety because you never know what will be working. And if I don't have what I need within my 400 lures I can generally rely on my fishing partner to bring another 100 or so.

I used to go to this show and spend at least $300, but have gotten to the point where it is really hard to find anything new that I really need. On top of the lures I have two Beckman nets (actually three but a buddy has one of them). Not sure why I have so many, you can't use more than one at a time and the only time you really replace a net is when you get a bigger one and my tourney partner already has the biggest one on the market so I don't need to buy one. In addition to the nets I have 4 custom made rods (made by Frank of Frank's custom rods), 3 St. Croix rods, 2 Shimano Compre rods, 2 Musky Mania trolling rods, 2 berkely rods, a browing silex rod and one that I can't remember the manufacturer. That's 15. Then I have a variety of Abu Garcia reels, probably 15 or so of those, a couple of Quatum Iron reels, couple of line counter reels (yes I have more reels than rods, and those don't include the reels that I use for parts, with two more reels on order). 3 GPS units, 3 fish finders, 2 trolling motors, 5 tackle boxes plus about 9 plano boxes and probably 15-20 lures that have not made it out of their boxes yet. Release tools, bolt cutters, replacement hooks, replacement split rings, jaw spreaders, 1/2 dozen boat towels, 30+ lake maps, 3 GPS chips of lake maps, back up trolling motor pedal.......

I think I have to much stuff, but I want more.

Only two months until the first fishing trip......down to Green River Lake in Kentucky.

Oh yeah, and I forgot I scheduled a week long trip during the show to Dryberry Lake in Canada during September. Probably will need to inform MommaMusky about that one.

1 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Woodchuck said...

"Probably will need to inform MommaMusky about that one."

One might think that you should at least mention it to her.

This has gone way past a passion, more like a fetish at this point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home